- The Salsa is similar to Mambo and share many of the same moves.
- Both have a pattern of six steps danced over eight counts of music.
- In Salsa, turns have become an important feature, so the overall look and feel are quite different form those of Mambo
- Salsa has more of a side to side feel.
- Lively, flirtatious ballroom dance full of passion and energy.
- "Cuban motion" gives the Cha Cha its unique style.
- Partners work together to synchronize each movement in perfect alignment.
- Most sensual and emotional Latin American ballroom dances.
- Swaying hip movements, facial expressions, arm movements and holds all add to the sensuality of the dance.
- This is one of the liveliest ballroom dances,
- Originating in southern France.
- It is modeled after the sound, drama, and movement of the Spanish bullfight.
- The most romantic and sensual of all Latin ballroom dances
- It is often referred to as the "Grandfather of the Latin dances."
- Possibly the most popular of all Brazilian ballroom dances
- Popular with young people as well as older generations.
- Can be performed solo or with a partner.
- The Tango is one of the most fascinating of all ballroom dances.
- This sensual ballroom dance originated in South America in the early twentieth century.
East Coast Swing
- East Coast Swing is a non-progressive dance
- It is a fast, exuberant dance
- The East Coast Swing includes the use of a back rock step.
- The back rock either follows a step, a step touch or a triple step.
- The man always leads with the left foot and back rocks on the left foot as well.
West Coast Swing
- The West coast Swing is very improvisational among advanced dancers with "syncopations", i.e. rhythm variations, footwork variations, body waves, etc.
- Individual styles vary widely.
- The man stays pretty much in one place while the woman moves back and forth in a slot.
- Therefore, it's the woman's movements that are emphasized.
- There's a lot more hand and arm motion than in the shag to produce figures like left/right passes, tunnels, and various wraps.
- West Coast developed from the Lindy.
- Foxtrot is a ballroom dance that is lots of fun and simple to learn
- An excellent dance for beginners.
- Smooth dance in which dancers make long, flowing movements across the floor.
- The Quickstep is a quick version of the Foxtrot.
- It is a ballroom dance comprised of extremely quick stepping, syncopated feet rhythms, and runs of quick steps.
- The Quickstep is exciting to watch, but among the most difficult of all the ballroom dances.
- A quick rotating ballroom dance with a subtle rise and fall.
- It is considered by most to be one of the most difficult dances to learn.
- The simple and elegant rotational movement characterizes the Viennese Waltz.
- The Waltz is one of the smoothest ballroom dances.
- It is a progressive dance marked by long, flowing movements, continuous turns, and "rise and fall".
- "The dance is so graceful and elegant", Waltz dancers appear to glide around the floor with almost no effort.
6602 W.19th Street | Lubbock, Tx 79407
Across from Boot City next to Carpet Tech